Barbie Proportions

Recently an article came out on The Huffington Post about "If Barbie were made with a real human's proportions." This is a topic that has come under much scrutiny as of late.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/01/normal-barbie-nickolay-lamm_n_3529460.html?utm_hp_ref=fb&src=sp&comm_ref=false

This topic bothers me for a couple of reasons. First, she is a DOLL. To put it in the words of Woody from Toy Story, they are "a child's play thing."



She is not supposed to be proportionate to an actual human. And second, the reason why she has a small waist is because it was easier for little girls hands to hold onto her. Am I right?

I never had an issue of wanting to look like Barbie. To me it was more important to dress them for going to the ball and slumber parties rather than trying to look like her at a young age. 

Now don't get me wrong. I think that it's VERY important to warn girls about the dangers of undereating and to help them understand that anorexia and bulimia are not healthy and you can actually die from these conditions. However, I don't feel that changing Barbie will help that cause.

Plus, none of the old clothes will fit anymore! :)

I think Barbie has been under enough fire through the years. Remember Butterfly Art Barbie and how everyone was freaking out about her having "tattoos?" (Which I have NRFB by the way. Do you have her too?)

Let me know what you think. I'm not trying to start controversy but just want to hear other Barbie lover's thoughts on this topic.

The new fun post will be up tomorrow!