Limb Swap

Well friends, my collection of distressed dolls has definitely grown thanks to the purchases that my mom gave me last weekend. (Yes, they will most definitely be featured!)

However it's time to whittle down what I want to display and what I want to keep in a box. I have many many dolls that have chewed arms and legs and they need to be replaced!

I know many of you have replaced limbs before so can you magnificent Barbie fixer-uppers give a newbie some pointers? I have seen a few methods and I have a few questions.

1. I saw that the best way to remove a limb is to heat water to boiling, pour it in a bowl and let it sit for a few minutes. Then put the Barbie in (not the hair!) and remove the limb. Does this work?

2. And does the above work with both new and vintage dolls? Articulated and not?

3. What's the best way to remove a doll head?

4. How about the best way to smooth rough doll hair? I'm not sure why question 1 says not to put hair in boiling water because I thought that was the best way to smooth. I've also read dipping the hair in Downey? (or other liquid fabric softener?)

Your help will be very much appreciated and I am looking forward to sharing my new creations on this site. And the new additions to the collection will be featured over the next couple of weeks! Stay tuned!