Color Change Fun!

Remember back to when you were a kid. Things that changed color or glowed in the dark were the best! I had glow in the dark stars on my ceiling and it was the coolest thing ever. I had a book of constillations and put them up in the exact way the stars were in the night sky. Then when I had to change bedrooms, my mom painted the ceiling in the new room a very pretty darker blue. Then I had 4 packages of sticker glow in the dark stars. Covered the ceiling! It was awesome!

I also went to an honor band once and we got shirts with the festival logo on it. The shirts were PLAIN black and white......

 photo IMG_9035_zps81ec2796.jpg

......until you got in the sun.

 photo IMG_9034_zps9eaab67f.jpg
This picture refuses to rotate the correct way but you get the idea.
Fun times!!!

Well, I have a few Barbies that have color change fun-ness! I have a couple of Halloween dolls that have glow in the dark dresses but I don't think my camera would capture that.

Let's look at them and how they change shall we? 

One of my first Barbies. This is Wet n' Wild Teresa. I played and played with this Barbie. My friend and I thought we were so awesome because we both had Barbie dolls named after us! (Her name was Kira.) And this Teresa has the beautiful Steffie head mold.

I never ever put this doll in water. I put her suit in water a number of times. But today I will leave it on but never get the hair wet. The hair is so pretty I couldn't bear to put it in water!

 photo IMG_9039_zps41448f31.jpg

Next we have Dance Magic Barbie. I love her little ballet slippers. She has lipstick that changes color!

 photo IMG_9041_zps6069eb30.jpg

Now we have Merliah the mermaid. I think her hair, tattoos and toe nails all change color.

 photo IMG_9042_zpsae4987fb.jpg

Here is Bedtime Barbie. She closes her eyes.


The next three dolls I got last week at the thrift store. First is Ocean Friends Barbie and then Splash and Color Barbie. Both have color changing elements. The third is a Sleeping Beauty doll. She is like Bedtime Barbie and she closes her eyes.

 photo IMG_9036_zps5e824b32.jpg
 photo IMG_9029_zps8cdcd073.jpg
Splash and Color is the third from the left.
 photo IMG_9018_zps98ec01b3.jpg

If you'll remember last summer, I got Splash and Color Kira. My mom bought her for me at a yard sale. I was anxious to see if her hair still had the color change effect. Yep! Purple and blue to pink and white. Pretty! So today she will not be in the mix.


Now here they all are eagerly awaiting their turn at the sink.

 photo IMG_9043_zps1c036c4b.jpg

First up is Ocean Friends Barbie. Her black wetsuit legs change under icy water! No? Doesn't seem to be working very well does it?

 photo IMG_9038_zps606d38f0.jpg

There, that's better. WARM water does the trick!

 photo IMG_9044_zps5a1901bc.jpg

But almost as fast as it disappeared, it started to come back. Maybe she's a bathtime toy so the warm bath will keep her wetsuit away.

 photo IMG_9046_zpsa2cf3f03.jpg

Let's do Dance Magic Barbie next. She has pretty "Barbie" pink lipstick.

 photo IMG_9049_zpsdaffa22c.jpg

She comes with a human-sized lipstick case that has a washcloth tip. I soaked it in warm water and watched her lips change from Barbie Pink to Pale Pink. Awesome! (I actually like the Pale Pink better!)

 photo IMG_9050_zps1ab1f6cc.jpg

I then used the same lipstick on Bedtime Barbie and watched her little eyes shut. So cute.

 photo IMG_9051_zpse039796c.jpg

Sleeping Beauty also went to sleep.

 photo IMG_9052_zps9b5f2e39.jpg

Splash and Color Barbie's hair is not as dramatic as Kira's. Barbie's hair is pink and orange and the warm water changes it to yellow and light pink. Meh.

 photo IMG_9053_zps49babcbc.jpg

Teresa is an icy water girl. And from what I've experienced both today and in the past, when it says icy water, they really mean icy water. Here the cold water worked but then I ran an ice cube over her and got the color to change just a smidge more.

Swimsuit goes from light blue and yellow to dark blue and green! I always loved changing this as a kid.

 photo IMG_9054_zps5ee5b0c2.jpg

Last but not least is Merliah. I took off her bottoms so we can see her tattoos more clear. And icy water brings out another set of purple tattoos behind the permanent pink ones. Fun!

 photo IMG_9055_zpsec316cbd.jpg

But her hair did not change color. But watch when I run it under warm water.

 photo IMG_9056_zps3305f8bb.jpg

It goes away! I also ran her tattoos under warm water and they went away too. So with Merliah, her pink streaks are supposed to appear with icy water. Apparently the ambient air in the house is just cool enough that her pink stays present. I did not see any noticeable change with her toenail color. Just a tad bit of pink but not enough to really even notice!

 photo IMG_9057_zps82fceaa7.jpg

An ice cube awakened Bedtime Barbie and Sleeping Beauty.

 photo IMG_9059_zpsc70fc40c.jpg
 photo IMG_9061_zps4cbe10ff.jpg

And changed Dance Magic Barbies lips back to Barbie pink as the first picture shows.

Do you have any color change dolls that I don't have here? They are so much fun aren't they?

Until next time!