February Fools?

Hi Friends,

I had thought about this post for April Fool's day but already had my Glitter Hair Barbie post all ready on the docket. (Do you all love her as much as I do? Isnt' she fabulous....) Anyway, today's topic will be about...

Dun Dun Dunnnnnnn

The Barbie and Ken Breakup.

When I heard about this back in 2004 I was like "No way. Barbie and Ken have always been a couple! What in the world!"

She had apparently left him for Blaine, a fresh young sufer-dude from the Land Down Under.

Here are two very interesting articles describing the breakup. One from Bloomberg Businessweek and the other from Fox News.

Now there were a lot of theories going around about why the couple split. I think the most surprising one was that Ken was gay. Others were things such as Ken didn't like playing second-fiddle to Barbie and that they were just tired of each other.

Funny that this happened the day before valentines day? Any ladies or men out there been dumped on or just before valentines day? It SUCKS. However there was no dumping here, apparently it was an amicable split and both chose to go their separate ways.

A while later we were confronted with this.

www.nerdlife.com
www.nycprgirls.com
www.likeable.com
Okay...wait...what??

Because I was out of the dolly scene for a while back then I never heard that they got back together or released this "She said Yes" gift set.

barbieobsession.blogspot.com  
And this set was ONLY $5! Why did I not see this back then?

So Barbie and Ken got back together, she wears a black and white swimsuit that tries to match her original suit and all is happy.

So why all the hub-bub with the breakup? I think it was marketing tactics by Mattel. Trying to put Barbie back in the spotlight. Any of you have the same theory?

And do any of you have the special "She said Yes" gift set? I think it's cute to be honest. I know some collectors were disappointed that it was not a "quality" gift set (as in there were some doll imperfections) but for $5, that's what you get. And anyone have the Blaine doll? I have never seen one.

So readers what do you think? Tell me in the comments!

Until next time!